Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The caravan saga begins

Last night was my first night staying in the caravan. Sue Williams’ Mum and dad have kindly let me borrow their caravan until Hannah has her foal and I cannot thank them enough. It has a heater, television, kettle and a very comfy double bed that I slept in last night.

I got to the yard at 11.30pm last night (wanted to be there for 11pm but had fallen asleep on the sofa). It was a really cold night last night, and as I had not been sure what I was going to do, I had not left the heater on in the caravan. It took quite a while to heat up, but by then I was lay on the sofa watching Wags Boutique with a cup of tea and my CCTV screen at my side.

I set my alarm to go off every hour so that I could check on Hannah and get to know her routine at night. The last check was 4.30am and she was fast asleep and very quiet so I decided that I would go back to sleep until 7.30am.

I woke up to the sound of heavy rain on the roof, howling wind and someone opening the gate to tip their wheel barrow on the muck heap. I stayed in bed for a little while longer watching Hannah on the camera and then got up and made myself a cup of tea.

Wandering out to feed the girls with my cup of tea in my hand, I went straight into Hannah’s stable to have a look at her. She had something sticky all over her udders, but still no sign of ‘real’ waxing up or running milk. Her muscles in her bottom have definitely slackened even more and you can now see the head of her tail, but I don’t think she is going to foal in the next few days if I am honest.

However, I will be staying in the caravan until the foalie arrives as she now has her foaling alarm on at night and I need to be close to the stable in order to hear it go off. Sue is staying with me tonight and bringing hot chocolate and carrot cake… so it looks as though we will be having a little feast watching Hannah happily snoozing!

No comments: