Friday, September 12, 2008

We have elementary points

Since the Regionals, Hannah has been going from strength to strength.

We are still having some issues in the Novice tests, especially if we follow a big moving warmblood, but her mediums are starting to get some 7s and she is much more consistent now in her contact, her hind leg and her attitude. It has only taken us 6 years to get it right!!!

Last week I took her over to Arkenfield to do the Novice and her first Elementary not HC. We have done two affiliated elementaries HC, neither achieving impressive scores. However, I have been working on some half pass with Jo in my lessons, and this has really sharpened her up and improved her shoulders which I am thrilled about.

I did not know the two tests, so was in a complete panic about it. Plus we left late because I had to pick the horsebox up from Preston, leaving me flapping and stressed! Hannah warmed up for the Novice pretty well, but she was a bit hot as we went in and every time I asked for trot she cantered which dropped our marks somewhat. The final mark reflected this, as well as a rider not being able to remember where she should be cantering.

There were two hours before the Elementary which gave me chance to look through the test and try to learn it! A bacon sandwich and piece of lemon drizzle cake helped the cause too, so when I got her back out with an hour to warm up, I have to admit I felt quite positive.

She warmed up beautifully, I was really pleased because there was no silliness or stress, she just listened to me and did as I asked. This is a real first in a competition atmosphere.

As we went in for the elementary I reminded her hind legs they needed to work by doing some collecting work around the arena and some medium work too. This resulted in her feeling great as we started the test. I am not saying the test was perfect, we had a few blips. Her 10m circles need work because she tenses through her back, and I need to learn what a 15m circle looks like because I am incapable of riding one apparently!!! But she came away with 64.84% which I was absolutely thrilled with. If she can get one more mark like that, we will be going to the Petplans at Novice and Elementary, not something I imagined would be possible at the moment.

My aim for Hannah this year was to do a Medium test before 2009... it looked so far out of our reach at the beginning of the year, but now, it just might be possible!

No comments: